Fenton and McGarvey

Are You Receiving Letters or Phone Calls from Fenton and McGarvey?

fenton-mcgarvey debt collectionIf so, doing nothing is the worst possible option.  The debt will not go away and neither will Fenton and McGarvey.  The debt will only grow and Fenton and McGarvey will get their money. But, there is hope. You have rights and options.

A debt relief attorney can almost always settle out of court.  When you hire an attorney to work on your behalf, try to find one who has an existing relationship with the law firm for the creditor. For example, I work with all the major collection agencies, including Fenton and McGarvey. My call gets answered and you save money.

Can a Creditor, such as Fenton and McGarvey Garnish Wages?

It varies by local law but a creditor such as Fenton and McGarvey can generally garnish your wages, although some exceptions apply. But you don’t want it to get to that. You need to make a decision whether you can pay the debt or whether you cannot.

Our Goal is Get You Back on Track

The goal of our debt settlement program is to get you out of debt within a relatively short amount of time (18 months or less), at a significantly reduced cost, without having to file bankruptcy. When you enroll in our debt settlement program, you’ll be able to see that there is light at the end of the tunnel.

  1. Do you owe substantial unsecured debt?
    • Credit card debt
    • Revolving charge accounts
    • Bank lines of credit not secured by your home
  2. Have you experienced economic hardship?
  3. Can you make a monthly payment of at least 3% of your total debt?

If your answer to most or all of these questions is yes, then debt settlement could be a great option for you. We’ll go over your specific circumstances with you to help determine whether you’re a good candidate for our debt settlement program.

Why Choose Trident?

Trident is one of the very few debt collection settlement companies in the nation that has been accredited by the Better Business Bureau and with an A+ BBB rating.  The fact that Trident has been accredited is your assurance that our company adheres to the highest ethical standards. The company was founded and is operated by an experienced bankruptcy attorney with a strong reputation and proven track record going back twenty years.

Call us today at 303-872-8492 to speak with a debt consolidation attorney.

Debt Consolidation Advantages infographic

When Served a Summons for a Debt

What do I do if I have been served with a summons by a law firm for a creditor? This is a question that I hear from time to time. The short answer is that it is time to take action. If you would prefer to have an attorney handle the matter, call a debt relief attorney in your state immediately. The matter can almost always be settled out of Court, with some arrangement made that is a compromise between the parties.

The compromise reached between your lawyer and the creditor may mean that you are eligible for a significant discount if you can pay in one lump sum. If you have no available cash for a lump sum payment, you can probably get monthly payments that will work for you. As a last resort, if neither of these options work for you, you can evaluate whether it may make sense to file for bankruptcy.

When you hire an attorney to work on your behalf, try to find one who has an existing relationship with the law firm for the creditor. For example, I work with all the major collection law firms in Denver, CO on a regular basis. I have settled many debts with each firm. The largest firms (Machol & Johannes, LLC; Silverman /Borenstein, PLLC; Farrell & Seldin) are law firms I deal with almost weekly. That means I know just who to call and how to get you a deal that you can live with.

If you want a little more detail about what you do when you have been served with a summons, read on…

If you have received a summons, it likely means that you have not paid your debt in quite some time and the creditor is tired of asking you to pay your bill. Instead, they have filed a law suit against you in an attempt to eventually force you to repay your debt. How do they do that? Assuming you have no valid defense to their claim (usually you do, indeed owe the debt), the creditor will obtain a judgment against you. This judgment gives the creditor rights which vary from state to state. In most states, the creditor can then garnish your bank account or wages, and they can place a lien on any real estate you may own. You can get an idea of what the specific garnishment rules are in your state by contacting a debt attorney in your state or by internet research.

Can a Creditor Garnish your Wages?

In Colorado, a creditor can generally garnish 25% of your wages, although some exceptions apply. But you don’t want it to get to that. You need to make a decision whether you can pay the debt or whether you cannot. If you cannot, it would be wise to consult a bankruptcy attorney and seek their advice. If you are unable to pay the amount in full, there is almost always an option to make monthly payments to the creditor. Also, if you have a lump sum of money to offer the creditor that is less than the full amount owed, that can work sometimes too.

What Options are Available to When Being Sued for Credit Card Debt?

Let’s say you are being sued for $10,000 for failure to pay a credit card debt. Your options might look something like this: 1) consider a bankruptcy if you have more debt than just this card and you have relatively low income 2) pay in full 3) pay a monthly payment of something in the neighborhood of $300 per month (interest rate to be negotiated, if any) 3) a lump sum payment of some amount that you have which the creditor agrees to take.

Attached to every summons is a Complaint (the lawsuit) and an Answer form for you to reply to the Complaint. It is generally wise to file an answer to the complaint. You want to see a breakdown of the calculations the creditor has used. If you disagree with the amount they claim you owe, for example, you can write “I disagree with the amount owed” on your Answer form, sign it and file it with the Court where the complaint was filed. There is usually a fee to file an Answer, so bring your checkbook. You can usually file your Answer on or before the return date listed on the Summons.

If you file an Answer, the Court will set the matter for trial at some point in the future, probably 30-90 days down the road. During that time period, you can attempt to negotiate with the creditor, and if those negotiations breakdown, you can go to trial and force them to prove that you indeed owe the amount they claim.

In general, I recommend you contact experienced legal counsel to guide you after you receive a summons.

Start Your Debt Free Life Today!